Monday, September 14, 2009

Good-Bye My Beautiful Pogo

Bunkers Pogo Coker (Pogo) died today at the age of 9 1/2, after a courageous 15-month battle with bladder cancer. He was born February 17, 2000. His parents were "Betsy" his white mother and "Legacy" his black father, both champion show dogs. Pogo was the father of two litters before he was "fixed." He enjoyed himself :) and our family got two gifts... Blue and Molly, pictured here when they were only 3 weeks old.
Pogo was an extraordinary dog. He was beautiful. He was smart. And, he had a delightful personality. There is no one who visited our home that hasn't had to pet him. He insisted because he wanted everyone to be his friend. Pogo was a standard poodle and he had a silver-black-gray coloring called "blue" in the poodle world, which is rather rare. He got his name because from the time he was a little pup until he became sick he was very bouncy and energetic... just like he was jumping on a pogo stick... and he loved to play.
All of my dogs have had to be "models" for my many photo classes and definitely learned to pose. Below Pogo is posing with Blue and then with Doodle Bug.
He was patient. He was kind.
He followed me everywhere. Our granddaughter recently lamented that my dogs wouldn't follow her and said, "When I grow up I want to have my own dog who will follow me." :)

We miss you Pogo. I'm glad we got to take one last trip to Austin last week since you've always loved to travel. Blue misses you, too. You added so much joy to our lives these past nine years. Enjoy your new life without pain.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet tribute for a wonderful dog. I'll always remember how loving, happy and energetic he was. He lived a good life and brought a lot of love and laughs into our lives. We'll miss you, Pogo.

Unknown said...

Melinda, your dogs made such an impression on me . . . beautiful and joyous. I know he will be terribly missed. He was lucky to have such a wonderful life. Allyson

Unknown said...

Melinda & Rick, as an avid dog lover myself I guess I take for granted my two little "shadows" who also follow me everywhere. But never again will I do so, after reading your precious story, as I too have a little 15 yr. old "antique" on her last leg. I know your Pogo was given the best last 15 months possible. Think of the wonderful memories you have made for your granddaughter. My thoughts & prayers are with y'all at this sad time.
Julie

Unknown said...

Fabulous dog Rick and Melinda.
Pogo was Carol and My's inspiration to get Brulee and Jobe.
His smart eyes were aware of his surroundings all the time. What a great friend.
We are sorry for your pain.
frank and carol

Elizabeth said...

Loved the photos and comments. Very nice tribute!